Table displays hosted by local educators and community groups are a key part of our conference. Table displays are interactive presentations that run through the entire conference. Presenting a table is a great way to network with our social justice educators and share ideas for integrating social justice into the classroom. We are calling on local educators and organizations to submit table display proposals sharing experiences and opportunities with socially-just education that highlight this year’s theme, integrate education and social justice, actively engage conference attendees, and provide useful information and ideas.
(for teachers, social workers, and other educators/practitioners)
(for organizations, clubs
Table Display Details:
- When is the Due Date for submissions? NOVEMBER 17, 2018
- Click here for a list of all 2018 Table Displays.
- How do submit a proposal? Fill out this Table Display Submission Form
- Do I have to pay if I have a table? Yes. If your table display is accepted, you are expected to register for the conference and pay the conference registration fee. We perceive this event as a professional development opportunity for all who attend. Even the Board members and conference organizers pay the fee. All contributions go toward supporting our various initiatives that work toward our mission statement.
- When can I set up and take down my table? You can come set-up your table the day before the conference (Friday Feb. 8th between 4:30 and 5:30p.m.) or the day of the conference (Saturday Feb. 9th between 7:30 and 8:00a.m.). On the day of the conference, you should pack up your table by 3:00 p.m.
- Do I need to remain at my table display the full day of the conference? No. Please feel free to visit other tables and attend workshops. We highly recommend that you keep personal items to a minimum and to leave a sign up list so participants can leave their email addresses to receive your materials/information electronically if you aren't there.
- How should I design the table? Do I need a poster? Your display does not require a poster. Presenters will be assigned their own table (approximately 2½ x4 feet) to share their materials. You should design a table that has some visual appeal. Please see the photos above for some ideas that may spark your imagination.
- What kinds of materials do other educators expect? Your display might include resources such as sample books, lesson plans, student work samples, book lists, photos, handouts, invitations to attend events, etc. This event usually attracts around 300 people or more each year. If you are bringing handouts, we understand that you may not be able to bring enough handouts for everyone that visits your table, however please consider having your contact information available for those that would like to email you for resources. We are not able to make any copies for you the day of the conference, so please plan to bring your own copies of anything you need for your table.
- Will I need to give a formal presentation? You will not need to give a formal presentation but you may want to talk through your display for participants who visit your table. You may want to share a short overview that includes key points or issues that ask questions and solicit responses. You can expect that, on average, people will visit your table for about 1-5 minutes. They will want to dialogue with you about your ideas for teaching and learning. Likewise, this is an opportunity for you to learn and get feedback, so feel free to ask people who visit your table what strategies and practices they have found useful.
- What sort of technology will be available? Will I have internet access? If you request on your proposal form that your table be near an outlet, we will accommodate that request. However, you must bring your own 3-prong extension cord to plug into the wall outlet in order to hook up whatever technology you bring to use on your table (e.g. your laptop) as your table may be several feet from the wall outlet. No laptops or projectors will be provided by the conference, you must bring your own technology if you need it and be responsible for the safe-keeping of your own technology and materials. Free wireless internet access will be available for all attendees and presenters. In order to get the login/password information, you must sign the internet release form at the registration table and then they will give you the necessary info to log on to the network.
- If you have any questions regarding Table Displays or your proposal, please contact Catalina Martinez at: email@example.com